8.27.2010

Slow it Down

As one who is an avid Power yogi, using it for as much of the strength training as mental training, lately I've been taking Restore classes. I have also found that my personal practices are geared more towards restorative properties than power poses. At first it was because I'd always be too sore from biking or climbing to take a core class, then I'd be too stressed out, and now it's just because that's all I want.

It is important to listen to the body and respect what it wants to do, verses what we think we should be doing. Typically whenever we think we should be doing something, it's never the right thing. Attempting to be more intuitive with myself I've found when I force myself into a power class when my body (and usually mind) are tired, my practice is very pieced together. I find myself unable to clear my mind even at the end of a 90min class lying in svasana.

It is the times when I am respecting my body and going to that restore class, that I find the calm clarity throughout practice, and even bliss in svasana. Slowing your practice down and holding poses can be mentally challenging for most, but when your body craves it you'll see the ability to find peace is easy. Next time you find yourself dragging to that power class think about slowing it down and trying the restore class instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment