8.24.2010

Finding the Blank Spaces

(a long lost post from May, but an important one to post I think)
There's something about being alone that makes you more in touch with everything. I've recently spent some time in the desert hiking with my dog Hobbes. Now he isn't much of a talker, but that doesn't stop me from talking to him, and sometimes creating responses for him. More often then I should admit..and I mean full conversations...but I digress. We camped by the Colorado river and spent hours lounging around watching the afternoon flow by. We watched as the sun became lower in the sky, the long rays enhancing the red glow of the rocks to the east. We were lulled into peace by the ebb and flow of the river. Time was not an issue, and that was a wonderful thing.

Sitting by the river I meditated for a while. Like many I struggle with meditation. I have a difficult time quieting my mind, and I easily become restless, even anxious if/when my hips are tight. Using my mala beads, I am able to quiet my mind simply by focusing on one breath per bead. Meditation is something that I know needs to be a part of my practice, but it's always overlooked. A book that I recently read, The Witch of Portobello, by Paulo Coelho put it all in perspective for me. The main character, Athena was always busy doing and trying new things. Always filling her days with constant activities. Her calligraphy teacher told her in order to flow from one word to another she needs create and understand the blank spaces between them. And in order to do that on paper she needed to do that in her life. Athena knew that she kept herself busy because she was afraid of the quiet times, or blank spaces.

Now I am not sure if I would go as far to say that I am afraid of my blank spaces, but I tend to over schedule my life in general. Which gives little time for exploration of those blank spaces. Meditation is almost like living in those blank spaces. Are you able to quiet your mind and be present in the nothingness that comes in the blank spaces of your life?

Try quieting your mind, and be present for a blank space or two. A great way to work on this is with breath. Focus on every single breath. Inhale fully and completely then hold your breath at the top, take a few seconds before exhaling, then exhale fully and completely and hold your breath at the bottom. See how difficult this little exercise can be, but be mindful of how the blank spaces make you feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment